Who we are
Experience Matters is a firm of business advisors that helps organisations mitigate the risk and maximise the value of their data, information and knowledge.
We do this by helping to turn information chaos into order so that employees can access the right information at the right time for the right purpose.
Fundamental to this is a belief and demonstrable understanding, that your data and information is a business asset that can be used to derive business value.
All Experience Matters advisors have many years of genuine business experience. Every team is custom built for the project and you will see no young faces at the table – only wisdom.
What we do
Our focus is to help organisations identify and manage their information as a business asset. Organisations who value their information as an asset are better able mitigate risk, solve business problems and deliver real improvements, economies and efficiencies that make their business more productive and more profitable.
Experience Matters puts organisations and their people back in control of their data, information and knowledge.
We do this through the implementation of our Information Asset Model.
Experience Matters never wants to be indispensible. We want to teach our clients “how to fish”.
What we don’t do
- We do not build or sell software or Apps to deliver our solution.
- We do not engage if there is no achievable, valuable business outcome. We refuse work (or recommend another firm) if we sense that a client’s business drivers or maturity do not align with the requirement for change.
- We do not engage if the project is driven out of IT – this is a business problem not an IT issue.
- We do not engage if we cannot secure a committed senior executive to champion the project.
- We do not engage if we cannot get the underlying business and Information Asset Management environment right.
- We do not engage young graduates to deliver our projects.
Why it matters
Information is the foundation of almost all that we do. It is the common denominator to all the buzz words we hear – big data, analytics, artificial intelligence, data science, digital disruption, innovation and the Internet of Things, the Cloud, Cyber-security, mandatory data breach reporting, Data Privacy and Block chain.
Business relies on information and increasingly on having it instantly at our fingertips to make decisions. But we are generating more and more information that is becoming increasingly difficult to manage. Information chaos increases risk and diminishes productivity and profitability.
And we have the evidence. Investigation of information practices across 11,000 staff in a range of organisation sizes and industries has shown a potential tangible business benefit of over $220,000,000 per year – this is simply $55 a day per employee in wasted time.
Without effective business governance there is no accountability and without effective information governance there is no means of measuring the cost to the business of poor information management practices.
But there’s a problem. There is no burning platform, no catalytic event, no howling justification to manage information assets well. But there is a death by a thousand cuts; there is an existential threat. One poorly managed email is insignificant but if every one of the eighty emails that every staff member receives is managed badly, that represents a material drain on the resources and alacrity and competitiveness of the business.
Identifying and understanding the value of your data, information and knowledge assets and improved management leads to better decision making, reduced risk and better business outcomes.
- Collaborative – we don’t do it for you, we don’t do it to you, we do it with you.
- Integrity & Respect – an honest and trustworthy approach that will not shy away from the real issues.
- Determination – a willingness to listen, ask questions and respond to achieve the best solution.
- Passion & Creative Thinking – we are prepared to think outside the square and look beyond the obvious boundaries.
- Unfailing Pursuit of Experience & Skills – nothing can replace years of experience in finding the right solution to a problem. This is why all projects are resourced with industry experts with many, many years of experience.
- Altruistic – we are giving back. We are publishing the findings of our global research into the “barriers to and benefits of managing information as a business asset” to make our work publicly available. And we are engaging with the best minds in the world in the management of information assets in order to add to the global body of knowledge.